Saturday, October 20, 2007


Install Solaris DomU (64 bit) on OpenSUSE 10.3 (x86_64) Dom0



Installing OpenSUSE 10.3 on the box I selected Xen entry into Grub menu after
first phase was completed and system rebooted for final configuration.
It brought me into text mode setup very similar graphical one when you
select ordinary kernel. During this setup I was not given an option to configure any one of three network interfaces (Dual Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ehernet integrated
on the board plus Realtek 8139 Ethernet plugged into PCI slot ).
I have to notice, that SLES 10 SP1 behaves exactly the same way, but during
text mode setup it gave me an option to configure each one of ethernet
interfaces on the box.
When OpenSUSE 10.3 got loaded on top of it's Xen 3.1, ifconfig reported:-








As eth0 was selected one of interfaces provided by Dual Marvell Yukon
Gigabit Ethernet.Yast reported that interface eth0 was configured as DHCP.
Yast also properly recognised all three ethernet interfaces,but configured
only eth0.


Despite that I brought eth0 up with static IP address and
double checked "brctl show" report. It kept stay the same.











Then I made sure that box is available on local network and
replaced corrupted file "libvirt.py" as advised in [1]:-



rpm2cpio libvirt-python-0.3.0-30.i586.rpm | cpio -idv
cd usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/
cp libvirt.py /usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/




Starting from this point I reproduced procedure described in details in [2]:-









Then installed Tight VNC on Solaris DomU ([3]) :-























I've attempted to assign eth0 static IP address before loading Xen 3.1 Kernel
coming with OpenSUSE 10.3. However, this action caused system to hang at boot up.
I've also tried to perform complete install OpenSUSE 10.3 (x86_64) along with Xen in graphical mode (manually configuring ethernet interfaces with static IP addresses)
and after all boot into Xen Kernel. System hanged at boot up again.
I am not sure is this issue hardware dependent or no. Just in case I've also
made a snapshot of "xm info" report:-








References
1.http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/26203/
2.http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/93016/index.html
3.http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/93273/index.html